Saturday, September 4, 2010

Homeschool shmomeschool!

This should be easy! They are only in elementary school! Readin', writin', and 'rithmatic, right?
Right? Hello?.... could you stop laughing and get up off of the floor? I only have 3 kids.... it's not like we are the Duggar family.... it's only ....3 boys.....3 wonderful, smart, caring.....loud....argumentative...pummel eachother at the drop of a hat....BOYS!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

What was I thinking???? Well, I was thinking that since the Army has only moved us here for 5 and a half months, that I need to provided continuity and stability for my boys so they aren't in 3 schools in 3 states in 2010. Now I am thinking I should just send the boys to a military boarding school!!!! Just kidding...a little....

I am actually starting to enjoy homeschooling! In the one month that I have been homeschooling, I have seen such improvement in their handwriting (one of our main focuses)! The little voice in my head (one of many) that gives air to my doubts about whether I am doing the right thing, seems to be getting quieter. I have a lefty, ZT, whose handwriting was illegible. His teachers (even the awesome ones in TX) just didn't have the time to focus on him. Homeschooling has helped sooooo much! All I have the 3 of them doing for writing journal, is copywork from the Bible. They are still on Adam and Eve and I am already seeing massive improvement!!!! Even Dr. Destructo (Mr. I am not a baby so stop calling me your baby!!!) has stopped crying and having a tantrum at the idea of writing journal time. When we started, he cried and cried.. So I told him he could write, or take a nap. He chose the nap. Then he didn't want the nap, but would do these extreme fake yawns to try to stop writing time. Yesterday, even with the distraction of Daddy being home from Fort Jackson, he went and got his journal, his pencil and his Bible book from his bin and started doing is writing journal ON HIS OWN!!!!! I didn't have to tell him, his brothers didn't even have theirs out yet and he did it!!! And he is improving!!! I know they don't work on handwriting in Kindergarten, but his writing was awful. It seemed almost like baby scribbles, Now you can understand each word! It's kind of exciting!

I never thought I'd enjoy the homeschooling. I know some parents could be around their kids 24/7, but I'm not one of them. There is too much of me in their personalities, I guess. I need breaks from them and also from my hubby! So I thought homeschooling would be like a chore that I would have to force my smile during school time. But I am actually enjoying it. We are reading some books aloud and I love that the boys laugh when I do some of the voices!

I guess the lesson of the day is I can get as much enjoyment out of homeschooling as I put into it.... sounds like fun to me!!!!

2 comments:

Denise P said...

Glad to hear it's working out. I would feel the same way. Gotta figure out how to follow it better. Hugs!

Ladystamper said...

So glad you are having a good time!! you have sweet boys....enjoy this time. You will look back and cherish it some day....